While the majority of our treatment options focus on varicose veins, we are also equipped to treat smaller, more superficial veins. Spider veins can develop on any part of the body, but are most commonly found on the thighs, calves, and ankles due to increased pressure in the veins on the legs. Also known as telangiectasias, these small veins are typically red, blue or purple and weblike in appearance.
Laser therapy targets these veins and improves their appearance. This procedure is quick, comfortable and effective. The vein is destroyed by laser energy, and gradually absorbed by the body in the following weeks. The end result is fewer visible veins and clearer skin.
How Laser Treatment Improves Spider Veins
Medical lasers are highly precise because they can be set to target specific tissues. Vascular laser treatment delivers light energy to the blood vessel. The blood inside coagulates and the vessel walls collapse, with the vein sealing off. The blood is then gradually removed by the body without neighboring structures being negatively impacted. Vein Management Clinic provides laser spider vein treatment with an Nd:YAG laser.
Laser therapy is an ideal option for spider veins because of their small size and superficial nature. There’s no need for more invasive measures and patients appreciate being able to clear spider veins without downtime.
What to Know Before Laser Spider Vein Therapy
- Treatment will be comfortable – The laser also a cooling tip that helps soothe the skin throughout treatment. Patients may feel a slight tingling sensation, but treatment should not be painful.
- Make sure to prepare for treatment – There’s not much you need to do, but you should avoid a few things before your appointment including sun exposure, aspirin, alcohol, smoking, and lotions on the treatment area.
- Understand the treatment schedule – Patients typically benefit from several treatments (anywhere from 2-6) spaced 4-6 weeks apart. This allows time for treated veins to heal and make clear which veins require further treatment.
- There is little to no downtime – After your laser session, the skin may appear reddish or be slightly raised, but this will fade within a few hours. Patients are able to return to regular activities and work right away. Dr. Muasher will recommend that you avoid sun exposure and may prescribe support hose to encourage fast healing and proper circulation.
- Results will gradually appear – Treated spider veins will gradually change color, turning from dark blue/purple/red to a light red. The veins will then disappear over the course of 2-6 weeks.
Is Laser Vein Therapy Right for Me?
You should undergo a comprehensive examination before moving forward with any vein treatment. This will help ensure that you do not have varicose veins that will continue to give rise to visible veins. If small veins are the only vascular issue that you have, laser treatment could be ideal. The YAG laser is gentle enough to be used across the body, and even on the face.
If you’d like to learn more about laser treatment for spider veins, get in touch to schedule an assessment.