We are constantly striving to discover less invasive and more patient-friendly ways to treat varicose veins. Microphlebectomy offers patients improved appearance of superficial varicose veins without surgery. Combining microphlebectomy with procedures like EVLT allows for comprehensive vein improvement at both deeper and surface levels.
Why is Microphlebectomy Performed?
While endovenous laser therapy addresses the feeder veins responsible for varicose veins, it doesn’t always improve superficial vein appearance. Adding ambulatory phlebectomy ensures cosmetic improvements and clearer skin. The veins are physically removed from the surface of the skin, and will not return. That said, new veins can always form if the underlying causes persist.
Many patients with visible varicose veins are candidates for microphlebectomy, and find that the procedure is rewarding and effective.
The Microphlebectomy Procedure
- Local anesthesia is administered to the treatment area.
- Tiny incisions are made in the surface of the skin.
- Varicose veins are removed through these small incisions. Veins are collapsible and easily removed through even tiny access points.
- There is typically no pain involved as the area has been fully numbed. Patients experience a tugging or pulling sensation.
- Total treatment time is usually less than one hour.
- The patient is able to walk immediately after the procedure. Patients wear compression bandages or stockings for a prescribed amount of time after treatment.
- Walking or biking after treatment helps reduce vein pressure, increase blood flow and prevent blood clots.
- There is little to no discomfort after treatment.
Will I Benefit from Microphlebectomy?
If deeper veins are functioning properly but superficial veins are problematic, microphlebectomy could be ideal. The small incisions are adequate to remove even large veins, and the removed veins are permanently gone. The mini incision technique is also beneficial for patients seeking low-commitment varicose vein treatment with minimal downtime. If you have large veins that cannot be eliminated by techniques like sclerotherapy, consider microphlebectomy as an alternative. There are many treatments available and one will be appropriate for your veins.
If you’re interested in learning more about whether this treatment option could be right for your needs, schedule an assessment with Dr. Muasher today. He performs all consultations personally and will provide you with expert guidance from your very first appointment. Don’t put up with varicose veins that are causing you pain, awkwardness and self-consciousness. We specialize in minimally invasive procedures like microphlebectomy, and will help you find the treatment option that suits your veins, comfort level and budget.